Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

Blow Out

By 11:25 AM

Within 3 days, Josiah has torn holes in 3 pairs of shorts.

Sunday, we noticed a huge rip down the back of his plaid shorts, late in the afternoon. 

When I picked Josiah up after school on Monday, he was not wearing the shorts I had sent him to school in. Apparently, during PE, he tore a hole through his 2nd pair of plaid shorts.

Tuesday, the 3rd pair of shorts had a blow out.

I purchased these shorts not long ago.  He has probably worn each pair only 2-3 times.  They haven't even been laundered that much.

I'm not sure why they didn't last.  I can't figure out what Josiah did to create such big holes in each of his shorts.

As far as I can tell he didn't tear them intentionally, or snag them on something or get them caught on anything.

But, we all know, this boy is a bouncer.  We know how intent Josiah is on moving in an upward motion as often as he can, on any surface he can, for as long as he can.

So, my guess is he simply blew them out with all the bouncing.

I'm picturing a balloon, filled with too much air.  It simply bursts.

Maybe Josiah's little shorts acquire air as he bounces on bended knee.  Over time, maybe the excess air and vigorous impact against the back of his feet, cause the fabric to give out.

I don't really know.  It seems silly to think that is really what happens.  But how else do you explain it?

Thank goodness not all of Josiah's shorts are the same.  He does have some heavy duty jean shorts that he has worn many, many times.

He's bounced hard in those as well and nothing happens.  They have been washed so many times, I can't even count. 

The lesson learned here is that from now on, Josiah is only going to be able to wear shorts made with sturdy fabric.

No more cute plaid shorts with matching shirts.  No more looking dapper in his coordinated outfit. This boy is either going to have to wear jean shorts or nothing.

Can't have my boy going commando at school.

Although, that might not be a bad idea, after all.

It sure would make toilet training a whole lot easier.




You Might Also Like

0 comments