Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

Curious

By 9:23 AM

Sometimes they stare.
  
Mostly, it's children who stare at Josiah.  Occasionally an older child or an adult will stare.

I imagine, if I wasn't Josiah's mom, I might stare as well.

Josiah, of course, is oblivious to people watching him.  He's wrapped up in whatever he happens to be doing and is totally unaware.

It doesn't really bother me, but I just wish I knew what people were thinking.  I wish I understood what it is that makes them so curious.  Why exactly are they staring?

The other day, Josiah and I were in the check out lane at Wal-Mart.  There was a mom with her little boy in front of us. He had to be no more than 3 years old.  

Josiah was sitting in the shopping cart, which we have discovered is usually the best way to shop with him.

Yes, he's 10.  Yes, he's too big to be in a shopping cart.  Yes, he should walk along beside me and help push the cart or help put groceries into the cart.  But he doesn't.

I'm not ready to tackle that just yet.  We've attempted it many times.  Believe me, this way, for now, is much easier.

So, Josiah was just sitting in the cart very patiently, waiting.  I don't think he was doing anything really.  He was just content to sit.  

That, in itself, is a huge blessing.  As I recall, there was no bouncing.  

This sweet, little boy in front of us kept watching us.  Mostly, he watched Josiah.  Every so often, he looked up at me and then he'd gaze back at Josiah and stare.

When I caught his attention, I'd smile.  He never smiled back, but he started looking at me a little more often.

I looked at Josiah to see what it was that intrigued this boy.  

My only guess was maybe he had never seen a child as large as Josiah riding in a cart.  Maybe he recognized that there was something different about his appearance.  Maybe he was just a curious kid.

I wanted to say something, but wasn't sure what to say.  

Was it even necessary to say something?  I don't think so.  

If Josiah were a typically developing child and someone stared, I don't know that I'd feel it necessary to say anything.

So, I've decided to simply smile.  I figure that's the best response anyway.

It's my way of saying, I see you.  I see you staring at my child.  I see that you are curious.

It's O.K.  He's a lot like you.  

He's a precious child of God and he's fearfully and wonderfully made.  Like you, he's perfect just the way he is.  

Thanks for noticing.

You Might Also Like

1 comments