Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

World Autism Day

By 1:06 PM

Have you heard? It's World Autism Day.

For those of us living with a child on the spectrum, every day is Autism day. It affects our world, all the time.

For everybody else, today is a day to stop and take notice. To be aware that Autism exists, to understand that the incidence of Autism is increasing.

The latest statistics from the Center for Disease Control are that Autism affects 1 in 88.

Think about that. Most likely that means you know of someone who has a child or a sibling or a relative or a neighbor with Autism.

So, you are aware of Autism. I think most of the world knows Autism exists.

What do you do with that information?

If you personally know of someone who is living life with a child on the Autistic spectrum, have you reached out in any way?

Years ago, when Rick and I only had 2 children, we met a neighbor with a daughter who has Autism.

Rick and I marveled at how this mom lovingly and compassionately cared for her daughter.

I think back to what I did for my friend, knowing she was dealing with a child with challenges as well as 2 other children.

You know what? I can't think of one thing, not even one, that I did for my friend.

I never offered to babysit. I never made the family a meal. I never reached out to help.

I'm ashamed to admit that. I'm sure my friend would have been greatly appreciative if I had done something.

I'm sure she would have welcomed the help, though she never asked for it.

So, the purpose of today is not to just make you aware of Autism, but to give you practical, helpful suggestions.

I want to offer some options for you. If you know a family dealing with a child with challenges, maybe you could reach out and use this day, this week or this month to make a difference for them.

Call and ask, How is it going? Are you doing ok? Then listen.

Offer to babysit at no charge.

Take the siblings out for a fun outing. Sometimes they miss out, otherwise.

Drop off a meal.

Add the family to your prayer list and pray for them daily.

Drop off a bag of groceries. Shopping with an Autistic child isn't easy.

Wash their car.

Mow their lawn.

Put a surprise on their doorstep.

Send a note of encouragement.

Share an inspirational book.

Bring them chocolate (Cadbury mini eggs preferably)

Visit and spend time with their child with challenges. Get to know him/her.

Invite the mom or dad out to lunch, or dinner or a movie, or even for a walk.

Be a friend who makes the first move and takes the necessary steps to ensure your friend knows you care.

It takes no effort to be aware.

It takes intention to make a difference.

Oh, and if you are so inclined, sell all your worldly possessions, purchase a couple of plane tickets to Bora Bora and drop them off at my house.

See, it's the little things that count.

You Might Also Like

0 comments