Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

Food Critic

By 8:39 AM

Josiah has become quite the food enthusiast lately.

His willingness to try new and different foods truly astounds me.

What's even more amazing, he thoroughly enjoys most everything put in front of him.

A few weeks ago, he ate tripe.

I'm not kidding.  TRIPE.

He also recently devoured shrimp fried rice, cabbage, black eyed peas and 2 servings of fried catfish.

This kid who not so many years ago lived primarily on peanut butter and fluff sandwiches, oatmeal or pancakes no longer has such a discriminating palate.

I made a copycat version of The Cheesecake Factory's Kale and Quinoa Salad right before New Years.  It just happens to be my very favorite salad, one I could eat every single day.

I doubled the recipe.

My version,  a classic Pinterest fail, tasted nothing like theirs.

I was not impressed.

Josiah tasted it.  Even with red seedless grapes riddled throughout, he gobbled it up.

He almost never eats fruit, unless it's dried or dehydrated.

Yet, Josiah polished off the entire double batch.

He even ate it for breakfast.

Now we offer Josiah more options, just to see how far we can go with it.  Hence, the tripe.

So, when I whipped up a steaming bowl of 6 ingredient 6 minute tomato soup in our Vitamix blender last week, there was no doubt he would be a fan.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

One quick swipe of his arm across the table top sent the frothy bowl of red yummy goodness to the ground, splattering soup all over the kitchen floor.

Even without words, our little food critic sent his message loud and clear.

We'll keep the quinoa, black beans, tomatoes and kale coming.

But, we get it buddy.

You Might Also Like

1 comments