Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

It's Off to School We Go

By 4:38 PM

Josiah's new teacher called last week.  She introduced herself and asked if I could bring Josiah to meet her and to see his new school.


It's hard to imagine, but our little guy is going to Intermediate School in just a few days.

No more Elementary School that he's known since the age of 3. 

No more Ms. Frances or Ms. Cheryl or Ms. Katrina.  

No more familiarity with the routine and structure he has come to know and expect for the past 8 years.  

We are on to new horizons with new hurdles to leap over and new hoops to jump through.

In the blink of an eye, we have arrived at the middle school years.  

I remember how it felt many years ago when it was necessary for our 2 oldest girls to return to school after 4 years of being home schooled.   
They started back in January, 1 year after Josiah's birth. One went to 5th grade and the other to 6th.  

They started back during those school years, when (in my humble opinion) kids can be very cruel and heartless.

I cried.  I remember feeling like I was feeding them to the wolves.  

I recall instances from my own middle school years when kids who didn't quite 'fit in' were teased and tormented. 

Fortunately, there were no wolves lurking in the hallways at the girls' schools.

They loved returning to public school and excelled in their new environments.  They made friends easily and blended in well with their classmates.

Josiah?  Well, Josiah doesn't exactly 'fit in'.  He can't talk.  He lacks social skills.  He needs extensive support with self help skills. 

He still wears pull-ups.

Not many kids at his new school fit that mold.

Can you imagine my concern about sending him off that first day:
on a different bus
with a different bus driver 
and a different bus aide 
to a different school
with a different teacher
in a different classroom 
with different kids?

Yikes!  

How do I explain it all to him?  How much will he understand?  

How do I rest easy assuming it will all work out well, without being there to ensure that it does?

I was very grateful for his teacher's call.

Natalie, Josiah's summer care giver (our new 'adopted' daughter) strapped Josiah in his seat and crawled in beside him for our drive to 'Meet the Teacher'.

We chatted on the way, telling Josiah the plan.

We were excited.  Josiah, not so much.

He hopped down out of his seat and walked through the parking lot towards the entrance of the school without much hesitation.  

But as soon as his teacher opened the door to her classroom and called out to us, he was done with our visit.

He bolted.

Josiah raced through the parking lot, straight to the van.  

Natalie and I stopped him halfway there.  

We spent more than a few minutes wrestling with Josiah in the parking lot.  

His teacher rushed to the rescue.  She spoke lovingly to Josiah.  She bent down in front of him and encouraged Josiah to come inside. 

Even her precious son came out to offer assistance and to help Josiah feel welcome.

Josiah was having none of it.  He was NOT a willing participant.  He wanted to get back in the van. 

Period.

What does a loving, compassionate mother do in this instance, when she's wanting to make a great impression on the new teacher and help her son feel safe and comfortable in his new environment?

She pulls him up by his belt loops and half drags him to the doorway, all the way using her legs to propel his legs forward, chanting, "walking feet, walking feet".  

So much for a great impression.

Thankfully, Josiah's new teacher is wonderful.  

I liked her after our first phone conversation.  I liked her after I watched her interact with Josiah.  

I liked that even though she witnessed a sweaty, out of breath mom manhandle her son into submission as opposed to lovingly encouraging him along, she didn't pass any judgement.

I like that she has great ideas and lots of experience.  I like that she is already working so hard to ensure that all of her students will have a great year.

I love that Josiah had some time to spend in his new room (with Natalie by his side to ensure he stayed put) while I talked with his teacher.

I think it's going to be a great year.  

I wonder if anyone will notice me?


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Hugs to you and Josiah. He will adjust and adapt to his new school and its' surroundings in no time. Change is never easy for anyone. Wishing you a wonderful school year with many new opportunities. Hugs xoxoxo from Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great blog post! It is amazing how when you write the reader feels like they are right along with you and can experience the emotions. Hang tight, the book is coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy and Rick, since the time I have come to know you and your family through your profile on the blogger and the blog about Josiah's Journey, I do take time to journey with your blog and pray for Josiah. Your journey with Josiah has so much for others to learn from you. As the Lord takes you through journey with Josiah may you bring cheers and joy to the parents who have children like Josiah. Be assured of my prayers for your family and specially Josiah. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India

    ReplyDelete