Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

Looking for Joy

By 10:48 AM

I've said it before, but it bears repeating, in light of current circumstances.

My favorite author, Andy Andrews says we are all either in a crisis, coming out of a crisis or heading into a crisis.

Think about it. Think about your own life. Think about the lives of the people closest to you. It's true isn't it?

Knowing it doesn't change it. But knowledge is power. Knowing your life will be in an almost perpetual state of crisis gives you options.

Deal with it. Complain about it. Ignore it. Enjoy it.

I'm sure you can think of many other options. These tend to be the most common ones.

Why, when we are in the middle of a crisis do we feel the need to tell everybody about it?

Maybe it helps to ease the pain. Maybe we think someone somewhere will have answers to ease our suffering, if we just tell enough people. Or, maybe it's just become an unfortunate habit.

Lately, I've been convicted that JOY is the answer.

No matter the circumstance, if you look hard enough, there is always joy.

If you've been a chronic complainer, this may take quite a bit of practice. It's not natural. Like exercise, it will take consistent effort.

Eventually, it will become second nature.

For me, it has almost become a personal challenge. I almost DARE something to happen in my life so I can find joy in it.

Josiah was just in the hospital for 5 days. What a joy that friendly, compassionate professionals who are much more knowledgeable than I, gathered at his bedside often, to consult on his care.

I have a strange skin rash spreading down my fingers and across my hand. It itches and burns. My skin is peeling. What a joy that Rick was able to stay by Josiah's side in the hospital so I could get to see a dermatologist. What a joy that she immediately knew what it was. What a joy that medication is helping to treat it and ease the discomfort.

I woke up with my eye almost completely swollen shut yesterday morning. What a joy that an Urgicare was open on Sunday and the Dr. was able to diagnose pink eye right away. What a joy that eye drops to treat it were only $.87 and relief is eminent. What a joy that only one eye is affected.

Rick woke up with pink eye this morning. What a joy that his employer offers free medical attention to employees. What a joy that he will be getting relief very quickly as well.

See how it works? Try it.

Think of something that your ordinarily find frustrating. Focus on it for a few minutes.

Now, FIND joy in it. Go ahead. It's there, just waiting for you to notice.

God is good all the time. Let's rejoice in His provision.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. What a great attitude to practice...and I know it takes serious effort to make it work! It was good seeing you at church...hope you're back in good health soon and that Josiah is as well. Do you ever have time for coffee?

    Christine

    ReplyDelete