Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

Family Fun

By 8:02 PM

With a wide range of ages, ability levels and interests, it's been challenging to find activities our whole family can enjoy together.  There is an 11 year difference between our oldest and youngest child.  Josiah has limited attention skills.  Often times he is loud.  He definitely draws attention to himself, and the rest of the family for that matter.  It's not always comfortable for the other children.  Who am I kidding?  It's not always comfortable for me.

Many years ago, we hit on something that worked.  At least for a little while.  Taking everyone to the movies seemed to be the perfect thing.  We found a great, inexpensive theater not far from our house.  Cost of admission only $2 per person.  Can't beat that.  Cost of concessions...quite a bit more.  But we learned early on that feeding Josiah while at the movies was a good thing.  It kept him quiet.  As long as we kept shoveling the popcorn in, he sat somewhat still.  So it was worth any price to pay for the jumbo size bucket of popcorn.  That was usually just for Rick, Josiah and me.  Then there were snack packs for each of the other 4 kids, not to mention drinks for Rick, Josiah and me.  It was never a cheap event.  But, at least we were all together.  Not talking, not really interacting, not really bonding, but together.  So movie outings became our primary source of family fun.

Oh we tried other things.  There was bowling and roller skating and ice skating.  We tried pizza places and fun houses and inflatable jumping establishments.  We've done the zoo and the circus and even Disney World.  But movies seemed to work the best of all.  And so, whenever we need SOMETHING to do to keep Josiah occupied for a couple of hours, we always opt for a movie.  That might not be such a great idea anymore.

Rick needed some time to get some work done at home today.  Three of the other kids were busy as well.  So, Chandler, Josiah and I drove to the movie theater.  Josiah began crying and resisting as we walked in the door.  Chandler picked him up to comfort him while I purchased the tickets. He yanked her hair hard then began sobbing with real tears streaming down his eyes as I paid for the expensive popcorn and oversized, overpriced soda.  Chandler juggled a blanket (it's always cold in that place, even when it's 80 degrees outside), the popcorn and Josiah's water.  I grabbed the mega drink, all our jackets (it's really cold in there) and Josiah's hand.  He wasn't budging.  He would have none of it.  The people behind the concession stand stared.  I'm sure they were wondering what we were doing dragging this boy to a movie.  He was becoming more distraught by the moment.  Surely this was not a good plan. He was not going to walk.  I scooped him up with my free arm and marched forward anyway. 

We were 15 minutes late to the movie, add on the time we spent buying snacks and by now we were 20 minutes late.  So I couldn't understand why we were the only people in the entire theater.  Josiah was wailing so loud at this point that I was extremely grateful.  Grateful that we were about to have a private screening, but none the less confused.  This movie was just released 2 days ago.  Where were all the people?  I quickly sat down and plopped the screaming boy on all the jackets, that were piled up on my purse, that was sitting on my lap.  I coudn't get him to stop screaming.  I grabbed for my cell phone and hurridly found the flashlight app.  I showed Josiah how to turn it on and off.  He was mildly amused.  The wailing stopped for a brief second.  I had a minute to think and said, "Chandler, where are all the people?"  She went to check.  We were in the wrong theater. 

More struggling with the popcorn and soda and jackets and blanket and distraught child.  We made our way to the correct theater which fortunately was just across the hall.  It was packed.  We found one seat at the very back.  I sat Chandler there and stood with Josiah.  He wanted nothing to do with the popcorn.  He decided he rather liked screaming instead.  So, he and I left immediately and  found a nice bench just outside the theater doors.  I sat and held him while he screamed.  Eventually, he stopped.  But not before he grabbed a huge clump of my hair and did his best to pull each piece out at the root.  I called Rick.  He thought about driving to pick up Josiah so I could enjoy the movie with Chandler.  But the whole plan was to keep Josiah occupied so Rick could have some peace at home to work.  I assured him we would be fine.
I wasn't so sure.

Fortunately, this was not Chandler's first rodeo.  She's been through this scenario more tmes than I'd like to admit.  She knew she was safe and I wasn't far away.   She knew I'd be back inside the movie eventually.  So Josiah and I sat and sat and sat.  He put his head on my shoulder and calmed down.  I kindly but firmly told him we were going back into the movie.  He held my hand and walked, as if this is exactly what he had wanted to do all along.  We found 2 seats and settled in.  I'm not sure how, but we made it through the rest of the movie.  Chandler had to hobble over people, knocking over a drink in the process, to bring us the popcorn.  Josiah upturned the entire bucket on my lap.  He repeatedly tried to kick the back of the seat in front of us.  He took his glasses off and attempted to throw them.  But, he stopped screaming.  For that I was relieved.

I may never know why Josiah was so unhappy about going to the movies today.  I may not understand why he resisted and cried and eventually screamed.  I may never know why he kicked the seat and tossed the popcorn and tried to throw his glasses.   I DO know that it worked.  

Josiah won't be going to any more movies. We'll just have to find some other way to keep that boy entertained.

You Might Also Like

0 comments