Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

He Dances

By 9:45 AM

I'm not exactly sure when it started.


But recently, our very bouncy, always hopping on his knees boy, stopped bouncing.

He stood up.  

He lifted one foot at a time and shifted his weight. 

Ever so slightly, he swayed.

Josiah held on to the edge of the kitchen counter and rocked his body back and forth.  

There was no music playing and it didn't last long.

As quickly as he started, he stopped.  

Josiah dropped back to the floor, content to resume bouncing.

But I saw it happen.

The next time, I was ready.

When Josiah stood and started to sway I held his hands and swayed with him.  

Picture 2 very awkward Jr. High kids at their first dance, not really sure what they are doing.  
Josiah pulled away after a few brief moments.

He didn't sway again, for a couple of days.

Then, Friday morning just before the bus arrived, I had an idea.

I pulled my cell phone from my pocket, turned on some music and asked Josiah to dance.

It took some coaxing, but eventually, Josiah reached for my hands and swayed with me.   

We danced the entire song.

At one point, he leaned the top of his head against my chest and stared down. 

Rick noticed that Josiah was studying my feet, as if working to copy my steps.
Every so often he looked up and grinned.  

Clearly, he was having fun.  So was I.

I'm not sure if someone taught Josiah to 'dance' or if he discovered this new movement on his own.

I don't really care.

Our boy is learning to cut a rug.

Now, Josiah dances with Chandler.  He dances with Rick.

He'd probably dance with you too, if you asked him.

All the eligible young ladies better get in line.  

Prom is just 6 years away.



You Might Also Like

0 comments