Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

Don't Short Change My Kid

By 1:15 PM

Everyone is entitled to opinions.


Most of the time, I am happy to listen to them.

That is, UNTIL those opinions put limitations on my child.

Don't even go there.

I'm well aware Josiah has challenges.  

I understand he has great difficulty with most things.  

I'm quite sure I have a grasp on what he is and isn't capable of.

I do not need well meaning professionals to paint that picture for me.

If there are limitations on what someone is either willing or able to do to aide Josiah with the acquisition of new skills and abilities, fine.

I understand that too.

Just don't go down the road that says there's not much more we can do for him.

Cause if you do, my eyes will glaze over, my ears will tune out and my mind will suddenly fill with unrelated, much more pleasant thoughts as I smile sweetly and nod in your general direction.

I will hold my tongue and keep my emotions in check.

I will listen, because I was raised to be polite and respectful. 

I will even thank you for your honesty.

But,  I will not stand idly by and accept anyone telling me everything that can be done is already being done.

Once we are removed from the situation, I will let loose.

Today, I strapped Josiah in his seat belt as I emphatically stated, 'Do NOT listen to one word that woman said about you. It's not true. I'm sorry you had to hear all of that. You are a very smart boy with great potential.'

I try my best to keep an optimistic outlook in most situations.  

But if you want to witness a less than joyful attitude, just tell me. 'fortunately there aren't many people with as many challenges and limitations as Josiah'.

Based on the knowledge you have of my child at that moment, you may be right.  But, I'm not buying it.

Last time I checked, God was still on his throne.

Until the day he takes Josiah home to be with him there will ALWAYS be room for growth and change and vast improvement.  

Our boy is a work in progress.  We all are. 

Others may throw in the towel, but not me. I'm spit fired and readied for the task.

You may call me Anne Sullivan.

You Might Also Like

0 comments