Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

Public Restrooms

By 8:45 AM

Navigating a public restroom with Josiah is quite an experience.

For starters, there is no



which means you'd better get out of the splash zone rather quickly.

I've often thought I should just teach Josiah to sit backwards.

Having his legs wrapped around a public toilet seat is not something I'm excited to encourage.

And so, we do the best we can.

If at all possible, we completely avoid public restrooms.

But, if absolutely necessary, our visits go something like this...

The door is bolted shut with my back securely blocking any quick get-aways.

Josiah sits.

While distracting Josiah from putting his hands in his mouth and/or touching ANYTHING, I quickly whisk off any wet garments, wrap them in a plastic bag and replace them with fresh, dry garments from the pack on my back.

While Josiah stands to pull up his fresh, clean clothing, I attempt to sneak in a quick bathroom break of my own.

If Rick is not with me to watch Josiah while I take a bathroom break, this is my only option.

Josiah takes quite a while to pull up his pants anyway. I figure this is my shot.

Of course, Josiah is on to me by now. He knows my plan. I tell you that boy is smart.

He's really good at latches and locks too.

He seizes this opportunity, most every time to try and escape the confines of a small restroom stall.

What am I supposed to do? I can't chase after a half clothed child racing through a public bathroom when I'm half clothed myself.

So, I've learned a great trick.

I use my head as a battering ram to block Josiah from opening the door.

Fortunately he has not learned that pulling my hair at this point would work in his favor.

You Might Also Like

0 comments