Josiah's Journey

Navigating life with a special needs child.

Summer Travels

By 9:57 AM

It’s nearly midnight; 11:32 pm to be precise.  We are on our way to the beautiful beaches of sunny Florida. 

Chandler has spent the majority of this trip sitting with Josiah, helping him, feeding him and letting him snuggle up next to her.  She is so sweet with him.

I just took a break from driving and we all swapped seats.  Rick took over at the wheel and I crawled in back to sit with Josiah for a bit.

It’s only been 8 hours since we left home, but Josiah has done really great so far.  He absolutely loves riding in the van.

He proved it on our first road trip of the summer.  Last month we drove from Texas to Pennsylvania, then to Ohio, then back to Texas. 

That was one very long trip with many, very long hours in the van.  Josiah was a trooper. Given that nothing about the experience was routine, I was quite surprised. 

I really wasn’t sure what to expect, but I anticipated some frustration.  I expected maybe a melt down or two.  I was ready for some type of confrontation. 

Nothing about Josiah’s routine was normal.  He was in unfamiliar territory.  He was surrounded by unfamiliar people.  He had an unfamiliar schedule.  Yet, he breezed right through it all.

I remember a few hours into that trip, looking up to take notice of what everyone was doing.  Chandler was in the front, together with Rick, singing silly songs, Jesse was engrossed in a computer magazine and Josiah, sitting in the back, was simply staring.

He had discovered the speaker panel closest to him and was mesmerized. 

He stared at it for hours. 

At one point, I moved back near him and looked intently at it myself.  I wanted to see what he saw.  I wanted to understand what it was that captivated his attention for so long.

I can’t say I’ll ever know, for sure.  From my perspective, nothing about it was intriguing. 

There was nothing sticking out of it or around it or near it that would draw attention to it.  There was nothing shiny about it that would make it visually appealing.  There was no sound emanating from within. 

I didn’t get it.

I didn’t need to. 

Josiah was so blissfully happy, staring at it that it really didn’t even matter.

It made the trip for him, fascinating.  It made the trip for us, peaceful.

Now, Josiah always scoots to that spot in the van.  No matter how far we are driving, even just a few miles to the local store, Josiah will bypass the seats in the middle of the van to plop down in the back, next to his favorite place.

He’s sitting there now.

I’m going to a junk yard.  I’m going to find a discarded old van, just like ours, with a side panel just like the one Josiah loves.  I’m going to rip it out and hang it up on the wall in his bedroom.

It will make my little guy exuberantly happy. 

And it will buy me hours and hours and hours of free time.
                                     


You Might Also Like

0 comments